TV shows and fiction aside, the present day examples of basic AI are Google Voice, Cortana, Alexa, Siri and chatbots. However, AI isn’t just limited to voice assistants, it’s turning tables in other domains and industries as well. Several restaurants for instance have bots for room service, serving food and carrying luggage.
Let’s take a look at some interesting and mind-bending stats and facts on this prevalent technology to give you a better idea of the direction the market is headed.
Facts & stats on Artificial Intelligence
AI in General
1. According to the Google CEO, Sundar Pichai, AI is one of the most important breakthroughs humanity is working on at the moment. It will be more life-changing than electricity and fire. ( sciencedaily.com )
He said that at a town hall event in San Francisco in January last year and he couldn’t be more right. Today we have robots to help differently-abled people dress up. A robot at the Georgia Institute of Technology is successfully putting hospital gowns on people who can’t do it on their own.
2. In 2018, one of the Microsoft translation system’s machines accomplished human-level accuracy and quality when it translated a news from Chinese to English. ( cdn.aiindex.org )
The team had hired external bilingual human evaluators, who compared Microsoft’s results with two independently produced human translations, to ensure that the results were both accurate and in line with what a human translator had written.
3. Carl Djerassi was one of the first few to create an AI program in 1965. ( forbes.com )
The program goes by the name DENDRAL and it helped unearth many unknown kinds of medications.
4. According to different studies, there are more male employees in AI-related jobs than females. At least 71% are men. ( theregister.co.uk )
80% professors too for AI at some of the top universities across Europe and the US are men. It’s not all bad news for ladies albeit, as different workshops are being held by WiML to support women in AI. A 600 percent rise in the overall attendance from 2014 to 2018 has been noticed.
5. In 1980, John Searle, an american philosopher, elucidated the difference between ‘weak’ and ‘strong’ AI. ( cambridge.org )
Weak AI according to him is more focused on one small task, where as the strong AI is what you refer to as ‘human intelligence’.
6. The default voice of an AI is mostly female because according to different studies both women and men like the sound of a female voice better. ( edition.cnn.com )
It’s because most people claim that a female AI is less intimidating to speak to. But for a change could you imagine Casper or any other AI John Doe instead of Cortana, Siri or ALexa? Not me.
7. According to Kathleen Richardson, a social anthropologist, female AIs would be less ‘threatening’ than male AI.
( toptenz.net )
Not sure if it has something to do with the way they are portrayed in films made on AI. However, Samantha in ‘Her’ was definitely a sweetheart compared to Terminator’s AI hellbent on destroying humanity.
8. According to an animal welfare researcher Dr Jean-Loup Rault, by 2025 we are most likely to have robot pets.
( sciencedaily.com )
It gets better, because you would be able to make an emotional connection with them. For people allergic to fur-babies, this is definitely good news.
9. Researchers at the University of Stanford have built a machine learning algorithm that can predict your death with an appalling 90% accuracy. ( express.co.uk )
While it’s morbid, who could ever stop the curiosity cat?
10. Nautilus, a self-learning supercomputer can foretell your future. ( techrepublic.com )
This is the same robot that located Osama Bin Laden and gained popularity right after. It calculated its predictions from the information provided to him. We’re speaking of millions of articles, dating as far back as the 40s.
While it’s eerie, when used right AI isn’t as terrifying as films show otherwise (but who knows?).
11. There has been an increase in AI and ML university course enrollment all over the world, specifically at Tsinghua in China. It’s AI and ML 2017 course enrollment has exceeded the number from 2010. ( mitsloan.mit.edu )
The rise was recorded at 16 folds more than it was in 2010. It’s the biggest leap thus far as compared to other international universities in Israel, Canada, or Switzerland. China is well known for aggressively rolling out AI cameras on its streets to catch jaywalkers (sometimes mistakenly) or in restaurants and airports.
12. If you want an AI job, best five countries are China, USA, UK, Japan and India. ( medium.com )
Willing to travel for an artificial intelligence job? Best you choose one of the aforementioned places.
13. There are machines and music-generating algorithms like Watson BEAT that can compose several musical elements to inspire composers. ( theverge.com )
AI helps musicians see and hence create what their audiences want.
1. According to Adobe’s findings, 47% of organizations that are ‘digitally matured’ have a defined AI strategy.
( cmo.adobe.com )
As artificial intelligence matures, it is becoming an imperative for businesses especially those who want to maintain a competitive edge. In fact, IBM has developed a machine learning platform that allows you to integrate AI into business processes. Building a chatbot for customer support for instance. Business like Big Four Auditor, Bradesco and KPMG are some of its biggest customers.
2. According to an AI Statista study done in 2017, as many as 84% business organizations across the world believe that AI will provide them with a competitive edge. ( forbes.com )
84% of business organizations will only opt for AI because it will give them a competitive edge over their competitors.
3. 48% of the enterprises say that by 2020 they are likely to increase their budget for AI in cybersecurity at least by an average of 29%. ( forbes.com )
And why not? With the advancement in technology, the attacks are most likely to become stronger. Why not prepare for adversary before it takes place and raise their security bar?
4. Disney is also using AI to improve movie quality and enhance viewer experience ( emerj.com )
It teamed up with Pixar Animation and University of California, Santa Barbara to remove image noise in films. The film used to train the deep learning model to make film noise free was ‘Finding Dory’.
5. The AI-enabled Chef Watson from IBM helps create new recipes and suggests users food combinations to create new and unique flavors. ( ibm.com )
AI and humans working hand-in-hand can create and achieve a lot more in the kitchen than working alone.
6. Gartner has predicted that the business value derived from AI will reach a maximum of $3.9T by 2022. ( forbes.com )
According to Gartner’s forecast AI will have a colossal impact in many sectors, including retail. In fact, it adds that about 20% of the companies will have its employees allocated to monitoring and guiding neural networks.
7. According to IDC, by 2022 the global spending on cognitive and Artificial Intelligence systems is predicted to reach a whopping $77.6B. ( forbes.com )
A further proof of AI’s ascent in the near future. Most of the spending is forecasted to be driven by retail, government industries and professional services etc.
8. By 2020, in Marketing and Sales, both Artificial Intelligence and machine learning are expected to rise to a value of $2.6T (in value) and at least $2T in manufacturing and supply chain planning. ( forbes.com )
With AI’s out-of-the-box potential marketers can go from reactive to proactive. Brands like Amazon and Starbucks are leveraging AI to derive more sales and connect more deeply with their customers.
9. Amazon has an AI Management Strategy called ‘The Flywheel’. ( forbes.com )
Yes, your favourite online store is no stranger to Artificial Intelligence. Here’s how it works, it stores energy when a machine isn’t operating constantly. Instead of wasting energy on turning it on and off, the flywheel keeps the energy constant and spreads it to other areas of the machine.
10. According to three Chinese researchers, Google’s AI is much smarter than Siri’s. ( businessinsider.com )
Three Chinese researchers conducted a research comparing the smarts of different AI systems.The trio including the Executive Deputy Director of the Chinese Academy of Sciences’ Research Center on Fictitious Economy and Data Science Yong Shi, said that in 2016 Google’s AI had an IQ of 47.28. It was ahead of the Chinese search engine Baidu (32.92) and Microsoft’s Bing (31.98) and had double the IQ of Siri (23.94).
However, none of these systems could beat a 6-year-old with an IQ of 55.5!
11. Self-driving AI car market is expected to be worth $127 billion worldwide by 2027. ( fool.com )
NVIDIA for instance has built its own computer powered by the company’s AI and GPU, called the Drive PX Pegasus, especially for self-driving cars.
AI Influencing Healthcare
1. According to Accenture data, the AI healthcare market is expected to hit $6.6 billion by 2021. ( businessnewsdaily.com )
As far as the clinical health AI apps are concerned, by 2026 they will help generate $150 billion in annual savings.
2. Researchers from Naval Medical Center San Diego and Google AI at Google have created an AI-based algorithm that can identify metastatic breast cancer with a 99 percent precision. ( venturebeat.com )
Human pathologists aren’t that accurate as of present. According to a recent assessment they can’t spot small metastases on individual slides about 62% of the time.
3. An algorithm detected the Ebola outbreak a week before it was announced by the World Health Organization (WHO).
( newsweek.com )
This could save lives without causing any casualties in future.
4. Researchers at MIT have built an algorithm that can detect depression. ( news.mit.edu )
Although depression doesn’t exactly require an algorithm to diagnose it, this could mean that patients wouldn’t have to relive trauma and experience the pain again when answering a therapist’s questions.
5. DeepMind’s AI can identify over 50 eye diseases as accurately as any optometrist. ( theverge.com )
AI is gradually perfecting over time and is learning to diagnose diseases as well as doctors.
6. A research by Accenture shows that effective use of AI can help reduce medical dosage errors. ( accenture.com )
Dosage errors are one of the main reasons behind unanticipated preventable deaths. This could not only save lives but also save around $16 billion for the healthcare sector by 2026!
Potential & Growth of AI
1. Many top scientists and technologists like Stephen Hawking, Elon Musk and Bill Gates aren’t very fond of AI. They believe it is a very dangerous threat to humanity. ( cnbc.com )
Which is legit as AI improves with human interaction and information it processes. From what we have learnt from the films like Terminator (Remember Skynet?), this technology will eventually lead to our own doom.
2. The EU fearing over data privacy has compiled a draft of “ethical guidelines for Artificial Intelligence”. ( gartner.com )
The document emphasizes on points like how developers should ensure that their AI will be familiar with the basic human rights.
3. According to IDC findings robot imports around the world increased from about 100,000 in 2000 to a ballpark of 250,000 in 2015. By 2020 there will be more than 1.7 million new industrial robots installed in factories across the globe. ( forbes.com )
The future is machines and sounds efficient as robots proffer precision in work.
4. Experts in different parts of the world claim that within the next 10 years, AI is likely to usurp more than 16% of our current jobs. ( futurism.com )
While this sounds distressing, don’t worry as this era is most likely to create a new set of jobs.
5. While AI isn’t a novelty at present, only 33% of consumers know that they’re already using AI in one form or another.
( ventureharbour.com )
In actual, 77% have used or use AI-powered services.
6. At least 97% of smartphone users have already used or are using AI-powered voice assistants. ( ventureharbour.com )
A study by Creative Strategies suggests that only 2% of iPhone haven’t used Siri. Only 4% of Android users have never used OK Google. As many as 51% use AI voice assistant in the transport during travel, 1.3% at work and 6% in public.
7. As many as 40% of people use voice search feature at least once a day. ( edit.co.uk )
The percentage clarifies how voice search is slowly becoming a part of our everyday lives.
8. By 2020, at least 30% of web searching and browsing will be conducted without a screen. ( gartner.com )
AI statistics by Gartner show that the voice-first interaction will soon become a commonality. Almost half of the Americans already use voice assistants.
9. A 2017 Pew Research study has revealed that around 46% of Americans use voice assistants to interact with their mobile phones or other devices. ( pewresearch.org )
42% of users use voice assistants on their smartphones, 14% use voice assistant on a tablet or computer, while 8% use it on a standalone device.
10. In the 2017 U.S. Open Tennis Championships, the IBM Watson Media implemented its AI tool to showcase game highlights right after their occurrence. ( emerj.com )
The highlights were assessed by the AI tool based on match analysis, crowd cheering, players’ gestures and overall excitement.
Cyber Security with AI
1. As many as 69% of business organizations believe AI is imperative to tackle cyberattacks. ( globenewswire.com )
Around 80% of the telecom companies say they rely on AI to detect threats and prevent attacks.
2. Many firms are reinforcing their cybersecurity with AI. ( capgemini.com )
Because as many as two-thirds of the firms think they can not detect or thwart critical threats without AI. In fact, the adoption rate of AI in cybersecurity is increasing.
3. 64% of the organizations have said that AI reduces the cost involved in spotting threats, breaches and total time involved by 12%. ( forbes.com )
This reduction in costs ranges between 1% – 15%.
4. According to Forbes’ analysis, based on Capgemini’s report, malware detection, fraud detection, scoring risk in a network, intrusion detection and user/machine behavioral analysis are the five highest AI use cases for improving cybersecurity.
( forbes.com )
According to Forbes, 54% of enterprises have already enacted these five high impact cases.
5. 61% of enterprises claim they cannot thwart breach attempts without AI technologies. ( forbes.com )
Cyber-attacks have leveled up over the years from standard threats to complex threats. AI will help prevent such security failures.
While artificial intelligence is soon to become a normal part of our lives, the researchers, even common people at present are split between optimists and pessimists. The optimists believe that one day AI will be able to help us solve every problem.The pessimists on the other hand believe that the slightest slip could fuel our very destruction and anyone who has seen Terminator would certainly think so.
However, it all boils down to how we choose to leverage this technology. AI couldn’t go evil on its on!
Need something more thorough?
Download our free ebook to get a better understanding of how AI works en masse with technologies like 5G, AR/VR and how it progresses and improves healthcare, business, marketing and retail, customer service and experience etc.